POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost! : Re: Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost! Server Time
15 May 2024 07:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost!
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 13 Sep 2009 06:38:55
Message: <4aaccbbf$1@news.povray.org>
Now finally we start slowly to get somewhere, this is a begin...

Also, POV-Ray should be smart enough to recognize that many files inside
that Scene folder are user-made (not inside a list of POV-Ray sample files).

Many other smart installations, or let's say, de-installations recognize
easily that there are files in a folder which don't belong to the program
itself (user-made files).

Location of scne files:
Since the earliest versions of POV-Ray, I kept the scene files inside a sub
folder of the program folder. I liked to keep that good old tradition. I had
one time a virus, which destroyed all files and sub folders within the "My
Documents" folder. So of course I don't keep relevant, important or
sensitive files there. And I also came accross, some time ago, to a Trojan
Horse which attempted to spy out what files someone has in the "My
Documents" folder, as well as their contents (of some file types, like Word
documents). Looking at the Assembler code of that Trojan Horse showed up
this. I studied programming.