POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost! : Re: Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost! Server Time
15 May 2024 06:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 Sep 2009 03:11:59
Message: <4aac9b3f$1@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Not really an error, but that bad behavior has caused that I LOST ALL MY
> POV-RAY SCENE FILES!

I assume you have backups though, so it won't be much of a problem ;-)

Now, it is quite stupid to select the "Program" folder of any program to
store your *own* files, even more so if you are using a beta version. The
"Program" folder is not your folder to mess with, and the same would happen
if say you kept your MS Office documents in the MS Office program folder.
Your files belong in the documents folder (and then only in the one
belonging to your user's profile or the shared folder!), so restore your
backups to that folder and all should be fine.

Sure, POV-Ray's installer could try to keep you from shooting yourself in
the foot, but at what development cost should it detect that you keep
copying your files back *repeatedly* where they never belonged in the first
place?

	Thorsten