POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost! : Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost! Server Time
15 May 2024 19:03:54 EDT (-0400)
  Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost!
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 13 Sep 2009 01:42:55
Message: <4aac865f@news.povray.org>
Not really an error, but that bad behavior has caused that I LOST ALL MY
POV-RAY SCENE FILES!

What exactly happened: during the recent versions, POV-Ray (Windows)
installs under some circumstances not into "My Programs", but inside the
documents folder "My Documents". This is, so far, desired by the POV-Ray
developers.

I always download the latest Beta versions in order to enjoy the new or the
improved features. But recognizing that newadays the program POV-Ray is not
where programs are but where documents are, I always had to cut out and
paste all my beloved scene files (some date back to the early nineties!!!)
from the freshly created documents sub folder for POV-Ray into the original
POV-Ray folder inside "My Programs". Each time I installed a new Beta, I had
to do this. Always, the new Betas touched all my scene files and moved them
to the new location...

One day I recognized I couldn't find anymore any of my hundreds of scene
files. Routinely, I looked into the new folders inside my documents, but
couldn't see them there, too. I believe, that somewhen during the last
installations I might have forgotten to move them back to where they belong
in my file system concept, or whatever. Seems to be my own fault, but it is
caused by the unusual installation location newadays. Fact is, all of them
are now lost! And there are really no words which could even come close to
describe my frustration, anger, hate, helplessness and sadness. There are no
words which are strong enough. As I said, my oldes files dated back to the
begin of POV-Ray, those days for DOS. I kept them full of pride as a POV-Ray
museum. They meant a lot for me, it was my entire history with POV-Ray. Now
they're gone.

The same with all my later scene files up to now, and also the same with all
the scene files I do through my company for our clients. All gone. All
lost...

Those cannot be brought back or replaced, they're lost forever, and that
causes me and also my company quite a lot, not only financially.

I herewith urge the POV-Ray developers to abandon the concept of installing
POV-Ray under certain circumstances in any other location than where
programs belong. It is bad enough that I lost everything. But I don't want
that this happens to any other POV-Ray user. In fact, I don't beg. I demand.