POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 8 Years : Re: 8 Years Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 8 Years
From: Warp
Date: 12 Sep 2009 16:51:54
Message: <4aac09ea@news.povray.org>
m_a_r_c <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:
> Which (part of) Europe are you talking about?

  Are you thinking of some part of Europe in particular which does not fit
my description?

  I'd say the entire western and northern European countries at least.
Just one prominent example is Denmark, which apologized to muslim countries
because an independent (ie. in no way state-owned) newspaper dared to
exercise its (completely legal) freedom of expression. I'm not exactly
sure what Denmark's goverment's message was when they issued the apology,
but I assume it would be something like "we are sorry that our freedom of
expression laws are too lenient, we are going to make them stricter now
in order to avoid insulting islam in the future". (I don't know if they
actually went ahead and did exactly that.)

  Or how about Finland? Here you can get a jail sentence if you insult
the muslim prophet. Yes, it has actually happened. And no, you don't get
a jail sentence if you insult Jesus in the same way (or even worse).

--
                                                          - Warp