POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 : Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 Server Time
5 Oct 2024 02:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7
From: clipka
Date: 12 Sep 2009 11:02:22
Message: <4aabb7fe$1@news.povray.org>
Ive schrieb:
> I really do not see why not simply respecting the W3C/PNG recommendation
> as every contemporary browser (meanwhile even including IE) and every
> not totally brain-dead image viewer does.

Um - misunderstanding here:

The default gamma for input files would be intended to kick in *only*
for files where no gamma information is to be had (or where
sophisticated gamma / color profile handling hasn't been implemented yet).

For PNG files, the gAMA chunk information would still take precedence.
(And as for sRGB chunks, if I'm asked the only legitimate reason to
continue ignoring them is lack of the manpower needed to implement the
proper handling; the same goes for full-fledged color profiles, by the way.)

To override the decoding gamma for files with explicit gamma information
or a fixed gamma, the user would have to explicitly specify a decoding
gamma on a per-file basis.