POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 : Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7 Server Time
6 Jul 2024 04:55:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma in POV-Ray 3.6 vs. 3.7
From: clipka
Date: 11 Sep 2009 18:28:50
Message: <4aaacf22@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>   The quotes allow putting there more than just a hex value prepended
> with a #. You can put color names and everything else HTML supports,
> plus more.

Rather not. I'd pretty much consider that overkill. Unless you want to
extend POV-Ray's capabilities to rendering HTML documents of course...

>> A hash sign (#) followed by six uppercase(!) hex digits could denote a
>> HTML color.
>
>   "HTML color" can be more than just hex values. By making it a non-string
> you are removing the possibility of other color definitions being used
> (such as named colors).

... which is what I'd prefer to do, actually: Straightforward 24-bit
colors should suffice. So rather than specifying a generic way how to
specify HTML colors, I'd rather specify that "a hash sign followed by
six uppercase hex digits is interpreted as a HTML color".

If you want color names, go ahead and define them as genuine POV-Ray
variables in some .ini file.

> having a # followed by something exceptional is only going to cause severe
> problems, besides being awkard, rigid and limited.

I don't see any severe problems, nor do I consider it awkward, and the
rigidity and limitations is something I see as a benefit, because it
will stop users from complaining that some particular HTML color syntax
they happen to have tried hasn't been implemented yet. Or someone
complaining 7 years later that POV-Ray crashes when using 30-digit hex
color. Or someone complaining 7 years later that POV-Ray hasn't been
updated to support some new HTML 8.0 colors syntax. Or the new color
names introduced with HTML 7.0.

Supporting only a very limited, rigid subset of HTML color syntax would
perfectly avoid this can of worms.

But given what fuss people seem capable of making about this, maybe the
best idea would be to not support any HTML-style color syntax in the
first place, and stick to POV-Ray's traditional way of specifying colors.