POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shamelessly lazy question : Re: Shamelessly lazy question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shamelessly lazy question
From: Jim Charter
Date: 11 Sep 2009 12:45:29
Message: <4aaa7ea9$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the quick response guys.

In New York, the Taxi and Limousine Commission has instituted a new set
of regulations for For Hire Vehicle bases making the base owners
directly responsible for any cars they dispatch that do not have current
valid licenses.  On their side the TLC is posting the list of valid
licenses on said Excel file.  Bases in violation of this requirement
could be shut down.  Even a one day shut-down of one of the larger
operations could easily impact them in the six figures range.

I have heard that some of these guys have purchased a program, priced as
much as $10,000, to check the validity of their drivers' licenses!

My boss (where I work training taxi drivers) sees an opportunity because
there are hosts of smaller bases who can't afford that, and, truth be
told, really don't get it that the TLC means business.  He asked me if I
could write such a program we could distribute cheaply, both to make
some money for us, and to help educate these smaller guys who could
really get slammed.  Frustrating to me because while scripting such an
app is well within my capability, writing something that could be
compiled, secured, licensed, and distributed, is not.

But at least, for one of our former instructors who is now in this
situation, I would like to put together something minimal for him to
use.  If I could do it with an Excel macro that would be perfect.

Now I know that it is worth my time looking into. Thanks again.

-Jim