POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Granite with limits? : Re: Granite with limits? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite with limits?
From: SharkD
Date: 10 Sep 2009 20:21:55
Message: <4aa99823$1@news.povray.org>
Chris B wrote:
> This pigment_map creates layers of different pigments in the z-direction
> with a granite layer that starts a short distance back from the front
> surface of the box (you can see this transition along the top and side
> of the box). The warp pulls a circle of the granite pigment towards the
> surface sufficiently for it to break through the plain white part of the
> pigment. The small amount of turbulence creates a jagged edge to the
> circle.

I plan on using the pigment as a density map to create clouds, so I
don't think this method would work correctly.

In fact, I would like the black hole warps to create something out of
nothing. I.e. the basic pigment would be black everywhere except where
the black hole warps are. I tried to do this with a planar pattern, but
it required that a thin strip of white appear in the middle. *Maybe* the
warps affected it enough for gaps to appear in the strip.

-Mike