POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Granite with limits? : Re: Granite with limits? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite with limits?
From: Chris B
Date: 10 Sep 2009 15:05:30
Message: <4aa94dfa$1@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Chris B wrote:
>> OTOH The bit of the question about new "cells" not being created implies
>> you might wish to avoid chopping through discrete splodges of texture in
>> the granite pattern.
>
> I was thinking of maybe applying black hole warps and turbulence to a more
> simple and plain pattern. I know I can control the placement of the black
> holes, and the turbulence should help it look more grainy.

Interesting idea. I've played around a little with black hole warps in the
past and you can get some interesting effects. I've put together a minimal
test scene along the lines of what I think you might be getting at:

camera {location <1.5, 1.5,-3> look_at 0}
light_source {<1,50,-100> color rgb 1}

box {<-1,-1,-0.01>,<1,1,2>
  pigment {gradient z
    pigment_map {
      [0   granite scale 0.1]
      [0.5 granite scale 0.1]
      [0.5 gradient z]
      [1   gradient z]
    }
    turbulence 0.01
    warp {black_hole <0,0,-0.1>,1}
  }
}

This pigment_map creates layers of different pigments in the z-direction
with a granite layer that starts a short distance back from the front
surface of the box (you can see this transition along the top and side of
the box). The warp pulls a circle of the granite pigment towards the surface
sufficiently for it to break through the plain white part of the pigment.
The small amount of turbulence creates a jagged edge to the circle.

Regards,
Chris B.