POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Granite with limits? : Re: Granite with limits? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite with limits?
From: Chris B
Date: 10 Sep 2009 06:06:49
Message: <4aa8cfb9@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Is there a way to create a granite-like pigment that is limited to certain
> limits? I would like no new "cells" to be created if they will extend
> beyond the limits. Sorry if I didn't explain this well enough...

I think you should be able to achieve this using either layered textures or
texture_map transitions. The optimum approach depends on exactly the result
you're trying to achieve.

If you want a plain texture with a granite-like pigment appearing within a
certain zone you can use a multi-layered texture where the top layer
contains a transparent 'hole' of the desired shape that lets the required
parts of the granite layer beneath show through. You can readily create
well-defined edges of any shape you want using the object pigment.

If you want fuzzy/blurred edges you would probably need to use pigments that
support color_map transitions, such as gradient or onion, but you can use
multiple layers to create some reasonably sophisticated 'holes'. For example
you could use 4 copies of a gradient texture rotated through 90 degrees each
time to create a blurry-edged square hole.

If you want a granite-like texture within the required limits and everything
to be totally transparent beyond those limits, you can use a pigment_map or
a texture_map to transition between the granite texture and a totally
transparent texture.

OTOH The bit of the question about new "cells" not being created implies you
might wish to avoid chopping through discrete splodges of texture in the
granite pattern. For example, cutting around the bright areas and avoiding
cutting through any dark patches. I can't think of an easy way of doing that
using only POV-Ray, although it's conceivable you could use the eval_pigment
function to chart a route through the bright bits without venturing into the
dark bits. You could then build a prism object to follow that route and use
it as an object pigment to create a top layer with a transparent hole of the
required shape. Lots of work though!

Regards,
Chris B.