POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : TIF support broken? : Re: TIF support broken? Server Time
13 May 2024 19:51:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TIF support broken?
From: clipka
Date: 10 Sep 2009 01:28:06
Message: <4aa88e66$1@news.povray.org>
Ive schrieb:
> POV-Ray supports only a (particular small) subset of possible
> TIF-formats and IIRC there was a change between libtif 3.6 and 3.8
> regarding alpha channels and the recommended way the tag
> 'TIFFTAG_EXTRASAMPLES' should be interpreted.

That must then be why POV-Ray 3.6.2 handles those TIFF files properly
while 3.7 does not.

> In fact TIFF support is 'broken' in so many ways that I would drop it
> completely. I can estimate how much time is needed to write some
> reliable TIF importer and I think this time would be better spend for
> the more important things within POV-Ray.

I think retaining support for the most basic TIFF files won't hurt, and
in that case it would appear rather odd for POV-Ray 3.7 to support less
variants of TIFF than 3.6.2.

Anyway, I got the libtiff 3.8.2 running with POV-Ray 3.7 now, and will
submit the changes to the repository any minute.