POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : TIF support broken? : Re: TIF support broken? Server Time
14 May 2024 01:54:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TIF support broken?
From: Ive
Date: 9 Sep 2009 18:30:14
Message: <4aa82c76$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

>>> I should have mentioned that this is about 3.7 (beta.34 to be exact).
>>
>> Apparently, the behavior is different for compressed and uncompressed
>> files.
>
> ... and POV-Ray 3.6.2 renders both properly; I presume that this is an
> issue in the TIFF library: In the POV-Ray 3.6.2 branch, it has been
> updated to libtiff 3.8.2, while POV-Ray 3.7 still uses libtiff 3.6.1.
>
> I tried to "transplant" the libtiff 3.8.2 from POV 3.6.2 over to the
> POV-Ray 3.7 project, but with not much success yet.

POV-Ray supports only a (particular small) subset of possible
TIF-formats and IIRC there was a change between libtif 3.6 and 3.8
regarding alpha channels and the recommended way the tag
'TIFFTAG_EXTRASAMPLES' should be interpreted.

POV-Ray also ignores all colorimetric and gamma correction related tags.
And POV-Ray does not support all the 'interesting' TIF-formats like
16bps, 24bps, and 32bps floating point HDR anyway.

In fact TIFF support is 'broken' in so many ways that I would drop it
completely. I can estimate how much time is needed to write some
reliable TIF importer and I think this time would be better spend for
the more important things within POV-Ray.

-Ive