POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering voxel-style functions in Povray : Re: Rendering voxel-style functions in Povray Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:30:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering voxel-style functions in Povray
From: clipka
Date: 9 Sep 2009 12:34:51
Message: <4aa7d92b$1@news.povray.org>
twinbee schrieb:
>> The problem is there's no way to incorporate while loops and local
>> variables into POV-Ray's isosurface functions. Basically, there are
>> functions and there are macros in POV-Ray. Macros can incorporate
>> while loops and local variables, but functions cannot. But,
>> isosurfaces can only be created using functions.
>
> Is this planned for a future version of POVray?

The answer is a threefold "yes/no/maybe".

"Yes" because there has been some discussion whether POV-Ray 4.0 should
be equipped with a brand-new SDL, and in that case, whether it might be
some bytecode-based language that could be used for scene scripting and
functions alike.

"No" because isosurface functions would probably still be subject to
major restrictions, or they might screw up the intersection-finding
algorithm and/or totally kill performance.

"Maybe" because the people to actually have any say in it did not, to my
knowledge, participate in the discussion, so their opinion on this is
currently an unknown variable. There seems to be consensus that the SDL
should get a major overhaul, but to what degree is not yet clear.