POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The original Der Untergang bits : Re: The original Der Untergang bits Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The original Der Untergang bits
From: clipka
Date: 8 Sep 2009 15:50:04
Message: <4aa6b56c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkUzfAfwP1A
>
>   Interesting question: Overacting, or accurate depiction?

I'm not sure; I wouldn't be surprised about either of the two. He was
said to have been choleric, causing his staff to become reluctant to
give him bad news, which in turn is likely to have detached him more and
more from the not-so-good reality of the war he had started, which in
turn will have contributed to the intensity of his choleric rages.

The events in "Der Untergang" take time shortly before the fall of
Berlin, at a time where this man's world of an arian super-race destined
for victory had crumbled to dust. People can get pretty mental when all
they have been believing in turns out wrong.

On the other hand, it is pretty comforting for Germans to attribute
Hitler's emphatic speeches to choleric madness rather than charisma.