POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How to write programs for ipod touch : Re: How to write programs for ipod touch Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to write programs for ipod touch
From: Warp
Date: 8 Sep 2009 15:11:57
Message: <4aa6ac7d@news.povray.org>
gregjohn <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Can someone point me to a primer on what languages would be used and how to test
> them out on your own device?

  Objective-C or Objective-C++, whichever suits you more (I personally
recommend the latter, rather obviously). No other choices, I'm afraid.

  Also you'll need to learn Cocoa Touch (which is written in Objective-C,
but perfectly usable from Objective-C++).

  You'll also need a Mac and the iPhone SDK (which comes with Xcode,
Interface Builder, the iPhone simulator and other necessary stuff). You
won't be able to develop in any other platform.

  You can develop and use the simulator for free, but to test with the
actual device you'll need to pay Apple some money. (I'm sure some people
have figured out how to install the software on jailbreaked iPhones/iPods,
but that would break more usage licenses you can count, and probably be
de jure illegal.)

  You'll get everything you need here:
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

--