POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : stbenge Fastprox fast SSS : Re: stbenge Fastprox fast SSS Server Time
6 Oct 2024 03:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stbenge Fastprox fast SSS
From: clipka
Date: 8 Sep 2009 10:00:54
Message: <4aa66396$1@news.povray.org>
Mr schrieb:
> Does the min extent and max extent thing still require some margin? Comments in
> the macro say this is because Pov has difficulties adjusting tight bounding
> boxes, so I wondered if that hadn't been solved already in the current beta
> with all the work that has been done...?

Not sure what you mean, but if your question is "do min_extent and
max_extent still return a box larger than absolutely necessary in
certain circumstances (e.g. cylinders not aligned with either of the
three axes)", then yes: This is still the case, has been the case with
3.6 already, and I assume it will remain so.

POV-Ray will /never/ be able to guarantee that for all object types the
min_extent / max_extent values are as "tight" as theoretically possible.
With this being an unsurmountable fact, I don't expect anyone to invest
any significant effort into addressing this for /some/ object types.