POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation? : Re: Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation? Server Time
5 Oct 2024 00:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 8 Sep 2009 09:47:23
Message: <4aa6606b$1@news.povray.org>
Ive wrote:

> Are you aware that this tool (like most others) will not apply the
> required inverse gamma correction and will result in the usual washed
> out colors similar to jpeg image maps when used with 3.7 or
> assumed_gamma 1.0 ?
> And to mention it again: wrong gamma correction does not only give wrong
> brightness intensities, it changes also the hue.

Proper gamma handling on input images is definitely needed, especially
for formats that do not carry information, there needs to be a way of
specifying the intended gamma for that image.

I can deal with adjusting the colors I use easily, but adjusting images
could get tiresome.

I've found in images where I started with 3.7 or assumed_gamma of 1.0, I
get the right saturation in the final image.
--
~Mike