POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POV-Ray and LED Luminaries : Re: POV-Ray and LED Luminaries Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray and LED Luminaries
From: scott
Date: 8 Sep 2009 08:52:56
Message: <4aa653a8$1@news.povray.org>
> I am looking at the suitability of POV-Ray for LED luminaries design,
> simulation
> and measurement of light intensity/uniformity of distribution. Here are
> the list
> of things I am looking for:
>
> 1.Ability to model different (and multiple) high bright LEDs that are used
> in
> lighting applications in different geometric arrangement (mean different
> numbers and spatial configuration). Alternatively, convert the models that
> are
> available in other formats like IES, ProSource to use with POV-Ray.
>
> 2.Create and model different type of reflectors/reflecting surfaces (of
> both
> geometrical and optical characteristics) and diffusers.
>
> 3.Study/Measure the intensity levels, distribution and chromacity.

IMO you are really going to be struggling with POV to get any realistic
output.  POV was not designed to be a physically correct simulator of light
rays, there are too many "gotchas" to look out for, and finding realistic
material data to work with POV will be hard.

You are far better off (not financially!) using a program like ASAP which
has been specifically designed for these types of simulations (this is what
we use for simulating LEDs and optical stacks):

http://www.breault.com/software/asap.php

I'm not saying it's impossible in POV, just that it's not really the best
tool for the job.