POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Exporting from Wings 3D : Re: Exporting from Wings 3D Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:44:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Exporting from Wings 3D
From: clipka
Date: 8 Sep 2009 04:25:05
Message: <4aa614e1@news.povray.org>
John schrieb:

> 1. When I export to POV-Ray format, the view, when rendered, is all askew, and
> things are out of proportion.

Maybe Wings presumes a different aspect ratio than what you're using for
rendering.

> 2. What is the best way to do textures? Should I make a texture in Wings 3D, and
> then export to POV-Ray? Or should I just edit the textures in POV-Ray? And what
> is the best way of doing both of those?

Normally, my workflow is (1) make the models, (2) export them to a
POV-Ray scene, (3) tweak that scene until I'm happy with it. I do not
want to go through the exporting process over and over again just to
tweak some colors, so I'm editing the textures in POV-Ray.

When I was still using Wings to export to POV-Ray, I usually renamed the
file to be an include file, moved the material defines to my main file
and changed the include file code so that it would just #define the
meshes. This way, if I needed to re-export, I could just change the
newly exported file accordingy, without losing my texture definitions.

Nowadays, I usually export to .obj format and then run it through
PoseRay, which generates a very nicely separated file structure: A
geometry include file, a material include file, a scene file and even an
.ini options file.

P.S.: FYI, there's actually a newsgroup "povray.tools.general" dedicated
to external tools such as modellers, file converters and what-have-you-nots.