POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Renderer comparison : Re: Renderer comparison Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Renderer comparison
From: Alain
Date: 7 Sep 2009 14:50:00
Message: <4aa555d8$1@news.povray.org>

> For all the slowest/realistic renderers that Blender supports, including
> Kerkythea, Luxrender, Yafaray, Indigo, Maxwell, which one has the least setup
> options? In other words, the material parameters are few (whilst still covering
> most lighting phenomena - i.e. path tracing realism), and where the final setup
> is minimal or nonexistent.
>
> Actually, if anyone could help score out of 10 in each of the 5 attributes below
> for each of the above five renderers (10/10 is always better than 0/10), I would
> be very grateful. Even guess work would be great:
>
> * Speed (more = better)
>
> * Realism and the amount of light phenomena reproduced (more = better)
>
> * Number of parameters for materials (more = worse, apart from any that are
> absolutely essential to obtaining all/most light phenomena and material types)
>
> * Number of parameters for final render (more = worse, apart from no-brainer
> options like ticking off/on shadows, direct illumination, or wireframe mode)
>
> * Cost (more = worse)
>
> My bias goes towards the last four, rather than speed. I want something that
> reproduces all or most lighting phenomena, but which is extremely easy to
> setup. Speed is no issue at all.
>
> Finally, can any of the renderers (and even Blender itself) handle isosurfaces?

I don't think that ANY of those support isosurfaces at all. You'll need
to convert your isosurfaces into meshes.
In fact, they probably can't take a POV-Ray source file and render it.
Those modeler/renderer are essentialy mesh/polygon based.

Price: you can have Blender for free.
I don't know for the others.

Alain