POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 82% crazy : Re: 82% crazy Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:10:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 82% crazy
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Sep 2009 03:58:43
Message: <4aa4bd33$1@news.povray.org>
>> Depends which stops. The bass pipes in particular tend to be slow to
>> speak, as do low diapasons. But reed pipes tend to speak very promptly.
>>
> Never thought about that, interesting! So does that mean you have to take
> into account when to press the lower keys, that it takes longer and
> therefore you have to play them earlier than the higher notes and have to
> play quite "irregular" to get a "regular" sound"? That sounds very
> difficult to get right! And in fact, that could be a reason, why it
> sounds so awful in church sometimes ;).

In a well-maintained organ, all but the huge pedal pipes speak quite
promptly. I'm told you have to play the pedal notes fractionally early
(but only fractionally). Most of the other pipes have a delay short
enough for it not to matter too much. (It just means that, e.g., if you
play *really* fast notes, they don't come out very loud.)

Of course, a typical village church organ is another matter entirely... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/