POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: Chambers
Date: 7 Sep 2009 03:26:09
Message: <4aa4b591$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> But trees encroach on power lines all the time.  I can look out my
>> window and see half a dozen...
>
> You have one of these outside your window? o_O
>
> http://www.idonohoe.com/biking/gallery/pylon.jpg

Ah, no, although I know of some within a few miles of here.

No, I mean the stuff that runs down your street and branches to every house.

> If you mean the low voltage cables on wooden poles that are much closer
> to the ground, then maybe those ones are insulated (we don't have many
> of those here, the cables mostly go underground once they come off the
> pylons)?  They don't have to go long distances so the extra cost is
> probably justified by the high risk of stuff hitting them.

OK, so the local stuff is probably insulated due to risk, while the high
voltage stuff used for long-distance transmission is left uninsulated.
That makes sense.

...Chambers