POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:25:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: scott
Date: 7 Sep 2009 03:16:01
Message: <4aa4b331@news.povray.org>
> You win the thread! There's less resistance along the current path (the
> wire) then the sheet of water.

Ermm, I don't know if you're joking here or not.  But for the sake of
everyone else, this is not how electricity works!  It does NOT "choose" the
lowest resistance path and ignore anything else, it follows Ohm's law (V=IR)
for every part of the circuit.

Because the voltage is so high on power lines, even a HUGE resistance (like
a human body, or a wet tree, for example) will make a pretty large current
flow, certainly enough to kill you or catch the tree on fire.

As a quick calculation, put a 10 MOhm resistance (millions of times higher
than the resistance along the current path) between a 400 kV power line and
ground, whilst the *current* through the resistor will "only" be 40 mA, the
power that needs to be dissipated by the resistor will be 16 kW, enough to
fry most things pretty quickly :-)

Also, I suspect the electricity company would be *really* interested if they
were losing 16 kW at each connection point along their power line!