POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Great video about open-mindedness : Re: Great video about open-mindedness Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:27:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Great video about open-mindedness
From: Tim Cook
Date: 6 Sep 2009 20:03:02
Message: <4aa44db6$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> The only major problem the US has is that it absolutely ***refuses*** to
> treat faith, no matter which of the tens of thousands of version we are
> talking about, the same way as some moron babbling about white power on
> the street corner. Some of us are. We spent over 150 years losing by
> being nice, while they used every form or rhetoric and hate speech they
> could against us. Its our turn to present the truth in a way that is
> sufficiently aggressive that people will notice, over top all the loud
> mouth lunatics ***still*** yelling about how unfair the world is being
> to their 90% of the population and 99% of all the political power,
> because they, "wah! wah!", don't have 100% believers in the US and 100%
> of the political power, so must, logically, be "persecuted".

The first sentence is false--witness David Koresh.  An example of faith
that was sanctioned with extreme prejudice.  Or do you mean that you
feel *any* tolerance of *any* faith is unacceptable?  That is just as
blind a view as the other way 'round.  "We spent x years losing by being
nice, so now we're not going to be nice any more", while pragmatic,
places you neatly in the same general category as 'fair-weather
pacifists', abandoning a basic tenet in the face of adversity (at least,
if 'being nice' is in any way fundamental to your belief, which if it
weren't, why be nice to begin with?).  When you use the enemy's methods,
you become the enemy.  "Our turn to present the truth in a way that is
sufficiently aggressive"?  That's poor form, indeed.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net