POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POV-Ray and LED Luminaries : Re: POV-Ray and LED Luminaries Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray and LED Luminaries
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 6 Sep 2009 04:27:15
Message: <4aa37263@news.povray.org>

> Hi Experts,
>
> I am looking at the suitability of POV-Ray for LED luminaries design,
> simulation and measurement of light intensity/uniformity of distribution.
>  Here are the list of things I am looking for:

   I think it would be very cumbersome to do such things in POV-Ray, if
possible at all, mainly because it was never designed to be an analytic
tool, but an artistic tool.

   Regarding your specific points:

   1) POV-Ray light sources don't support spatial distribution models (a la
IES).

   2) You will have to model very accurate fixtures with very accurate
materials and use photons, and then hope the result would be accurate enough.

   3) If you read the thread started by Colin, the suggestions there are the
only ones I can think of... as I said before, perhaps possible, but not very
direct or practical.

   Regards,

--
Jaime