POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer book recommendation sought : Re: Computer book recommendation sought Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer book recommendation sought
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Sep 2009 15:18:40
Message: <4aa2b990$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   If a program has not been designed to be reusable, then it isn't.

Well, it is, of course, if it's just a library exposing an API. The problem
is the pile of things the program depends upon that aren't standardized, and
so each program wants something different there.  I guess sort of the
language-level equivalent of DLL Hell.

If you have several different parser libraries, for example (say, XML, HTTP
headers, message catalogs) and they all depend on different implementations
of unicode strings, what's a good way of making it so you don't have to
convert between unicode string representations each time you move data from
the message catalog to an XML record sent over HTTP?  That's the kind of
question I'm asking.  Or even if it's just bunches of typedefs, considering
the C and C++ languages lack enough parsability or after-compile metadata to
make it easy to actually find the declarations and uses and do a global
replace on type names.  (As in, try to correctly rename type "i8" to "int8"
everywhere in the code without manually inspecting each instance.)

Of course, the more powerful the language, the easier it is to do some sort
of translation between types there, up to the point where you have a
language that (gasp) already has unicode strings built in from day one. (Or
at least day N where N < the original authoring date of any code you want to
use.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)