POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer book recommendation sought : Computer book recommendation sought Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Computer book recommendation sought
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Sep 2009 13:20:17
Message: <4aa29dd1$1@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know of a book that describes good ways of getting bunches of
different types of software written in inadequate languages[*] to work together?

In other words, I have a bunch of code in C: A web browser, a graphical
toolkit, a video decoder, a XMPP stack, an RTSP stack, an HTTP stack, an XML
parser, etc etc etc. However, each of these things is in C or C++, so each
is using their own memory manager, their own set of defines for things like
eight-bit-unsigned-bytes, their own set of routines for unicode, their own
mechanisms for message catalogs, their own set of routines for logging,
their own set of routines for threading/event handling, etc etc etc.

What's a good way to take the video player that's interfaced into the web
browser and move it to a different web browser, when that video player has
grown tentacles into the web browser for things like receiving events,
typedefs, logging, etc etc?

Basically, I'd expect it looks something like Design Patterns, or Design
Anti-Patterns, only for various pieces of third-party code you need to make
work together.

[*] Obviously, if a language already comes with a good logging library,
unicode strings built in, classes and callback events and locking and
threading and such, you'll find few libraries in that language that have
incompatibilities there. Hence the term "inadequate".

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)