POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:12:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: Warp
Date: 4 Sep 2009 14:52:56
Message: <4aa16208@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
> Warp wrote:

> >    Some people say that they find the intro incomprehensible, or at least
> > very hard to understand. I don't know why. I find it quite easy to
> > understand.
> >
> >   Two tribes of some pre-human species are having a squirmish about a pond
> > of water. Then the loser tribe is hanging around when the weird monolith
> > appears, and after touching it they start realizing that they could use
> > bones as weapons, and they take the pond back. Cue a transition from a
> > bone thrown into the air to a spaceship. Both tools of some kind. The
> > inference is rather clear.

> Dunno, it seemed rather disconnected from the rest of the film, imo.

  Even after the explanation?

  I think it fits perfectly within the story. It explains (to a degree)
what the monolith is (ie. some kind of alien device which triggered the
human species to become intelligent). Without that intro the monolith would
be completely unexplained and not related to anything.

--
                                                          - Warp