POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: Warp
Date: 4 Sep 2009 14:50:03
Message: <4aa1615b@news.povray.org>
> I'm completely serious.  Just like the official sign for a scuba diver
> having trouble on the surface is to rip off your mask, wave your hands
> around, and splash a bunch, screaming.

  The emergency gesture underwater must be one of the most confusing ever:
It's the "thumbs up" gesture.

  The gesture which indicates that everything is ok is, not surprisingly,
the "ok" gesture, but the "thumbs up" gesture is also so commonly used for
"everything's ok" in other settings that some people get confused about it.

  There was an incident related to this during the filming of one of the
Harry Potter movies. While filming an underwater scene, after the scene
was done, Daniel Radcliffe made the "thums up" gesture to indicate that
everything went perfect. Of course the safety divers around didn't take
any chances and rushed to help him and get him to safety.

--
                                                          - Warp