POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: Warp
Date: 4 Sep 2009 14:23:08
Message: <4aa15b0c@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
> Warp wrote:

> >   What I dislike about the movie is that it's a very good story and it makes
> > a lot of sense, up until that craziness at the end. What I dislike about it
> > is that the craziness at the end has *no* meaning at all. It's not like the
> > writers came up with some kind of deep message and a highly abstract way of

> What about the intro? That was, IIRC the only reference to the monolith
> in the entire movie ...

   Some people say that they find the intro incomprehensible, or at least
very hard to understand. I don't know why. I find it quite easy to
understand.

  Two tribes of some pre-human species are having a squirmish about a pond
of water. Then the loser tribe is hanging around when the weird monolith
appears, and after touching it they start realizing that they could use
bones as weapons, and they take the pond back. Cue a transition from a
bone thrown into the air to a spaceship. Both tools of some kind. The
inference is rather clear.

--
                                                          - Warp