POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Great video about open-mindedness : Re: Great video about open-mindedness Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Great video about open-mindedness
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Sep 2009 12:09:44
Message: <4aa13bc8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> True. On the other hand, folks have been down that slippery slope already,
>> so it's not obvious it's really a fallacy in this case. Indeed, in the USA,
>> people are galloping down that slope.  (A number of high-profile religious
>> leaders are publicly praying for the death of the president right now, for
>> example.)
>
>   I also think (although I have nothing to back my opinion up) that the
> idea that getting rid of all religion will fix these problems is incorrect.

I agree entirely.  What it *will* do is to reduce the legitimacy of people
behaving badly.

For example, the Masai religion (African herders) teaches them that God gave
them all the cattle. When they see someone else's cows, it's not immoral for
them to take those cows, because they belong to the Masai anyway. (Kind of
like a Promised Land with cows, I guess.)  If you do that in Africa, the
police will at worst come take the cows back.  If you did that in America,
the Masai religion would not legitimize it and you'd probably be in jail.

If I drove around the city with a bumper sticker saying "Obama should die"
I'd probably get arrested. (Maybe not charged with anything, but certainly
inconvenienced.) But since these nut-case preachers are getting on national
TV and saying they're asking *GOD* to kill Obama, it's apparently not a
problem for the secret service to look into.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)