POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:13:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: Warp
Date: 4 Sep 2009 11:58:47
Message: <4aa13937@news.povray.org>
> Invisible wrote:
> > Another film thoroughly worth missing - although at least parts of it
> > made sense.

> What you have to realize is this was a special effects movie. It was the
> first time they had realistic zero-G effects. The first use of matte
> paintings (where you could see in through the windows of a spaceship that's
> actually just a model, for example), and so on.

> Watch it again with that in mind, and you realize why they spend 20 or 30
> seconds of screen time just filming a floating pen.

  What I dislike about the movie is that it's a very good story and it makes
a lot of sense, up until that craziness at the end. What I dislike about it
is that the craziness at the end has *no* meaning at all. It's not like the
writers came up with some kind of deep message and a highly abstract way of
expressing it, letting it to the viewer to figure out what the message is.
No, it was purely random, with no message, no logic, nothing. The only
purpose of the ending was to screw up with the mind of the viewers, hoping
to put them in a wild goose chase trying to decipher a message and meaning
which simply isn't there.

  It's a kind of anticlimax.

--
                                                          - Warp