POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: scott
Date: 4 Sep 2009 04:43:51
Message: <4aa0d347$1@news.povray.org>
>> Funny, I always managed to light open containers of petrol *very* easily
>> :-) There's no huge explosion or fireball, just a nice steadily burning
>> flame from the top.
>
> I saw burning ethanol once.
>
> ...or rather, *didn't* see burning ethanol. It's almost invisible. Which
> is quite worrying, when you think about it.

I always had litres of radio controlled car fuel left over that was too old
to use.  That was made from methanol and nitromethane with a bit of oil.
Seeing as you can't just pour it down the drain, I had the great idea of
burning it instead.  "Hmm, why won't this stuff light goddamnit, light,
light, OWWWW S!&T it's already burning".  The heat haze is another giveaway.
IIRC in some American car racing series they use (or used) methanol as a
fuel, pit-lane refuelling fires must have been fun!