POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : German naming rules : Re: German naming rules Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: German naming rules
From: clipka
Date: 4 Sep 2009 04:18:11
Message: <4aa0cd43@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> I can understand that, as well as the restriction on it having to
> actually have alphabetic characters and such.  The article made it sound
> like "Sandy" would be rejected because you can't tell if it's a guy or a
> girl. :-)

There are actually German first names that can be used for both. What
German restrictions do forbid is using an unambiguously female name for
a boy.

"A boy named Sue" wouldn't be possible in Germany (though that didn't
stop a German artist to actually make a German version of that song).

Then again, however, it does allow this for middle names, e.g. a boy can
be named "Klaus Maria" (in fact "Maria" is the most commonly seen middle
name of this type).

If I'm not mistaken this also allows to work around other German naming
restrictions; that is, for instance you could name your boy child "Klaus
Sputnik" if you absolutely want him to be named "Sputnik".