POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : German naming rules : Re: German naming rules Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: German naming rules
From: clipka
Date: 4 Sep 2009 04:05:51
Message: <4aa0ca5f@news.povray.org>
Florian Pesth schrieb:
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/6128905/
> Germany-angered-over-legal-ruling-to-allow-Islamist-to-name-son-Jihad.html
>
> That sounds as if we germans are about to revolt :). Come on telegraph I
> didn't even *read* about it.

It also sounds like the Telegraph is way more intersted in raging about
the father's background than discussing German naming issues. As if the
one had anything to do with the other.

In Germany, whether you can name your child Djehad or not has nothing to
do with whether you're a fanatic islamist suicide bomber, or just a
secular arabic-speaking mother to whom pregnancy was a "struggle" (which
appears to be the original meaning of the word "jihad").

Ah, and no - I haven't heard of the whole thing until right now either.

>> Can any germans here explain why the government would give a crap about
>> what the kid is named?
>
> Only if there might be "severe damage" to the child due to the name as
> far as I can tell. You can't name your child Adolf Hitler here.

And you can't name a child contrary to its gender, i.e. if a name is
traditionally used for girls only, you can't name your son thus. Though
this might be directly connected to the "severe damage" thing: A boy
named "Sue" isn't really prone to have an easy life...

>> And would Moonunit Zappa have to change her name to be a german citizen?
>
> I guess if you have the name already its not a problem. Also I don't see
> that that name would be a problem... but than I also don't see the
> restrictions as a big problem...

Absolutely: You can prove you already have that name? You keep that name.