POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
9 Oct 2024 14:33:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: Chambers
Date: 3 Sep 2009 23:05:06
Message: <4aa083e2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> Why do some people like the X-Files?
>>
>> Because it's cool.  The whole UFO "I want to believe" mantra as well
>> as the "Trust no one" conspiracionist theories were all around in the
>> 90s...
>
> I just don't see the point.
>
> Each episode, something happens which makes absolutely no sense. It's
> not that it's "mysterious", it's just nonsensical. Molder and Scully
> investigate. A series of utterly incomprehensible events occur. It turns
> out that the conspiracy was actually a conspiracy to create a conspiracy
> that would make people think the conspiracy was actually a conspiracy
> about a conspiracy to create a conspiracy. But then that turns out to be
> wrong too. And after about an hour of abject failure to make any kind of
> weakly comprehendable sense, the show ends.

I never liked the X-Files until I read an interview with Chris Carter
(the guy who created the show) back in the 90s about how he was affected
by the Watergate scandal.  The growing public sense of outrage over the
fact that the administration had been lying and deceiving them for
years... before then, there was a great deal more public trust in our
elected officials, but Watergate officially marked the beginning of the
modern age of cynicism in politics.

All of that really shows in the X-Files, as the show isn't really about
aliens, but about a conspiracy.  From that point of view, the show is
quite enjoyable and interesting.  As sci fi, it's really not very good.

...Chambers