POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : German naming rules : Re: German naming rules Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: German naming rules
From: Florian Pesth
Date: 3 Sep 2009 19:59:52
Message: <4aa05878$1@news.povray.org>
Am Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:45:49 -0700 schrieb Darren New:

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/6128905/
Germany-angered-over-legal-ruling-to-allow-Islamist-to-name-son-Jihad.html

That sounds as if we germans are about to revolt :). Come on telegraph I
didn't even *read* about it.

> Can any germans here explain why the government would give a crap about
> what the kid is named?

Only if there might be "severe damage" to the child due to the name as
far as I can tell. You can't name your child Adolf Hitler here.

After a quick wikipedia read it seems, that german authorities are bound
to the name laws of the origin of the parents of the child not
necessarily the german name laws.

> I've seen articles about sweedish authorities rejecting kids being named
> completely with punctuation, or 100-digit numbers, or something like
> that, which makes sense if you grant that it has to work in computers
> nowadays. But censoring a name like "Woodstock" or "Peppermint"?
> Censoring non-gender-specific names?
>
> And would Moonunit Zappa have to change her name to be a german citizen?

I guess if you have the name already its not a problem. Also I don't see
that that name would be a problem... but than I also don't see the
restrictions as a big problem...