POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Some conspiracy theories are right after all... : Re: Some conspiracy theories are right after all... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:29:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some conspiracy theories are right after all...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 3 Sep 2009 18:04:25
Message: <4aa03d69@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> On 09/03/09 03:31, Warp wrote:
>>    If you think about it, you'll find some problems with that idea. As
>> you
>> know, the Earth rotates. This means that one point on the surface of the
>> earth is in direct line-of-sight to the Moon for an average of 12 hours
>> per day. It's physically impossible for the NASA mission control center
>> to have a 24-hour direct link to the signals sent from the Moon.
>
>     Satellites?

Of which there where what.. Maybe 5 at the time, all stationary *over*
the US, not in the least because people in other countries would have
been less than happy to know they where being potentially spied on. On,
and.. Unless you missed the point of how they are built, they have two
systems on them, both aimed *at* what they are dealing with, one to
receive, the other to transmit, and both at pointed *down*, at the
earth. As a rule, most satellites, especially from that period, could
only relay information from the ground, to other satellites, or back to
the ground, and then only in line of site, and then only on the same
plane, if the moon was *behind* the damn thing, it would be worthless,
as it would be on almost any angle to the moon from it. We still have
the same issue talking to orbital systems and space craft today.
*Something* has to be pointed at what you plan to receive.

Now, I suppose, if you where taking a long approach, you could have shot
up a dozen satellites, all specifically *designed* to receive data from
the "opposite" direction of the earth, but that would have taken more
launches, before we put people into space. Fact is, even today, we
*still* have our space craft talk to ground stations, then *those*
stations relay the data up to a satellite, which shoots it across to
another one, and finally back down to the ground. The shuttle/ship never
"talks" directly to the satellites.

>>    (Also, do you *seriously* think that eg. the USSR was not watching
>> closely every single transmission? The USSR would have loved nothing
>> more than to expose a hoax and ridicule the USA.)
>
>     That's the kind of logic conspiracy theorists use.

Uh, no. Conspiracy theorists make up implausible secret agencies, then
claim that *those* are watching everyone. We know the USSR existed, we
know they spied on us, we know they watched our TV, we even have
documentation indicating they listened in on a lot of stuff we did in
the space program. Its hardly implausible, or only supported by some
random wacko with a book, who insists he once worked for some secret
project to paint rocks for a fake landing, or the similar BS you get in
conspiracy theorist thinking.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {