POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: Warp
Date: 3 Sep 2009 16:47:43
Message: <4aa02b6f@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson <fe79}--at--{yahoo}--dot--{com> wrote:
> >   Of course an interesting question is what happens if the input file is
> > a PNG and its gamma metadata is saying that the pixels should be
> > gamma-corrected before usage. We are not displaying the image in this
> > case, so there's no need to gamma-correct the pixels for proper display.
> > We are using the pixels to create heights. Should they still be
> > gamma-corrected or not?

> Every image must be adjusted for gamma, regardless of how it is displayed.

  But that's the point. This is not an image. We are simply using an image
file format to store height data. We could just use some raw file format
for the same purpose. (Existing image formats are more useful because they
have more software support and are often compressed, conserving disk space.)

--
                                                          - Warp