POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7b34: Don't know if this is legitimately a bug or just my own stupidity : Re: 3.7b34: Don't know if this is legitimately a bug or just my own stupidity Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7b34: Don't know if this is legitimately a bug or just my own stupidity
From: clipka
Date: 3 Sep 2009 11:47:10
Message: <4a9fe4fe$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford schrieb:
> The following is a minimal scene to reproduce this. It requires a
> perfect storm of using a micronormal, blurring, and a high amount of
> dispersion samples to cause POV-Ray to run away with allocating memory.

The memory consumption is alarming even without the dispersion, rising
as high as 1.6 GB for a 800x600 render on 8 threads.

The reason appears to be a humongous amount of crackle cache data: The
crackle pattern is only semi-procedural, requiring random values to be
computed and cached for subsequent queries, with a fixed amount of data
per unit-cube in crackle pattern coordinate space. Using crackle for
micronormals is therefore a bad idea: Scaled smaller than the density of
actual ray-object-intersections computed, it will eventually lead to a
separate crackle cache entry being created for each and every
intersection. Memory consumption will then grow with every additional
ray being traced, which is fatal with e.g. focal blur or dispersion that
create a huge amount of rays per pixel.

With bumps instead of crackle, memory requirements stay virtually at
idle level. Given that you can't make out the crackle structure at such
a scale anyway, that's the way to go. If you need a different
distribution of "slope probabilities" than the standard bumps pattern
(e.g. to simulate a basically polished surface with comparatively sparse
microsopic scratches), you may want to try bumps with a slope_map.