POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: Warp
Date: 3 Sep 2009 11:20:50
Message: <4a9fded2@news.povray.org>
> One thing I haven't figured out is why poisonous prey animals (frogs,
> butterflies, etc) wind up being brightly colored.

  AFAIK the bright colors work as a warning signal. Predators learn to
distinguish the poisonous prey by their color.

  It would make little sense to just have poison but otherwise look edible.
Both predator and prey get killed. With a warning color both live.

  (By this logic it would follow that some species mimic the color of
poisonous species. I wonder if there are examples of this.)

--
                                                          - Warp