POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 00:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: clipka
Date: 3 Sep 2009 10:54:16
Message: <4a9fd898$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>   I do understand that. However, my point is that there are situations
> where you are not rendering for your display, but for something else
> (for example to match HTML colors, or the colors of an existing image).

For such purposes, what you need to do is to simply convert the HTML
colors to linear values, and go with those. The output (PNG, or any
other file format with File_Gamma=2.2, which is the de-facto internet
standard) will then automatically match those HTML colors.

Is that so difficult?

> It seems that the ideology in POV-Ray 3.7 color handling
> is that the user must always pre-correct all color values by hand, as
> POV-Ray itself offers little help in this. Is this practical?

It is practical insofar as it would be difficult for POV-Ray to figure
out automatically whether a color value supplied by the user is
gamma-corrected already or not.

For instance, a user may have defined a light source and be quite happy
with it, but now decide to split it up into two light sources set a bit
apart and with slightly different hues.

So with linear color values, he can just write:

     light_source {
         MyLightPos - MyLightSpacing/2
         color (MyLightColour/2 + MyLightTweak)
     }
     light_source {
         MyLightPos + MyLightSpacing/2
         color (MyLightColour/2 - MyLightTweak)
     }

and get exactly the same overall scene brightness, with just a somewhat
more lively illumination.

Would you want to do that with gamma pre-corrected values?

I do agree that it is somewhat impractical to not be able to use colors
picked from, say, Photoshop directly in POV-Ray. But as far as that is
concerned,

- You can easily write a macro to "gamma-un-correct" colors.

- My suggestion would be to provide a dedicated syntax for specifying
gamma pre-corrected color values, such as:

     color rgb <0.6,0.3,0.6> gamma 2.2

(or, alternatively, a predefined macro in colors.inc or some such to
achieve that same effect).

>   It's absolutely unreasonable for POV-Ray to not to offer any way of
> automatically gamma-correcting input images which do not have gamma
> information in them.

That is true indeed, and if the day had 36 hours I would be the first to
implement a feature like this:

     http://bugs.povray.org/task/10