POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:12:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: scott
Date: 3 Sep 2009 03:31:29
Message: <4a9f70d1$1@news.povray.org>
> Why do overhead cables never flap around in the wind?

Actually they do, it's just it's usually very fast and very low amplitude
flapping.  Imagine holding out a stretched violin string in the wind, it's
not really going to flap is it?

Anyway, take 200 metres of this stuff (which I make weighs 10 tons):

http://www.csunitec.com/saws/new-river-band-saw.html

pull it *very* tightly between two points (I estimate you're going to need
at least 60 tons of tension in the cable), and then put it in the wind, I
can't see it flapping about too much personally.  Some of the really long
cables have dampers on them to get rid of the main resonant frequency, a bit
like what they put on the Millennium Bridge in London to stop it resonating
at the frequency people walked at.

> Come to think of it, why doesn't rain short out power cables?

Because air with rain in it is still an insulator?

> Steelworks. They have furnaces hot enough to melt steel, right? So what
> THE HELL is the furnace itself made of?!

Lots of things have higher melting points than most steels.  Ceramics for
instance.