POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And you thought COBOL was readable? : Re: And you thought COBOL was readable? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And you thought COBOL was readable?
From: nemesis
Date: 2 Sep 2009 22:16:36
Message: <4a9f2704@news.povray.org>

http://parchment.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/parchment.html?story=http://parchment.toolness.com/if-archive/games/zcode/curses.z5.js

>   Nowadays hobbyists will write so-called "interactive fiction". I find
> many of these games to be very boring. They are more like choose-your-
> adventure books (with one single path you can take) rather than real text
> adventure games. They concentrate too much on the story and too little on
> gameplay. They often lack puzzles which are interesting and require ingenuity.
> They are not games. They are "guess the command to advance in the story"
> programs.

True.  Sometimes people get lost on the ambition to write a sort of
interactive novel and forget about gameplay.

The game I linked to is a true game though and very good at that
(including in the "boring" descriptions).  Short, straightforward story
(but still intriguing enough) and plenty of good puzzle-solving and
exploration.

Writing is about as good as you can get too, the guy is not just a
programmer and mathematician, but a poet as well.