POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 02:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: clipka
Date: 2 Sep 2009 17:46:20
Message: <4a9ee7ac$1@news.povray.org>
*Wham!* *Wham!* *Wham!* (*bangs head on table*)

Are you /deliberately/ not following me?

So before I continue trying to answer your questions (I think I have
answered them at least half a dozen times over), let's try to get this
step by step:

(Chapter 1)

At the heart of POV-Ray, there is a rendering core designed to operate
on /linear/ brightness values in three distinct spectral bands (R,G,B).
Can we agree on this as a given fact?

If that is so (please interrupt me in case of any disagreement), then
that core(!) rendering algorithm can be expressed as a function
R(X,P)=Y, where X is the set of linear input brightness values, Y is the
set of linear output brightness values, and P is the set of other
core(!) parameters (such as scene geometry).

Let's also give a name to gamma-related transformations: Let's denote
gamma pre-correction as g(Y)=Y', with Y in this case being a set of
linear brightness values, and Y' being the corresponding gamma
pre-corrected color values; let's likewise denote the inverse
transformation as G(Y')=Y.

To finish up this chapter, can we agree that the rendering algorithm
doesn't work properly for gamma pre-corrected values, i.e. that
g(R(X,P)) != R(g(X),P)?