POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 02:29:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: Warp
Date: 2 Sep 2009 14:26:50
Message: <4a9eb8ea@news.povray.org>
> Tell me, in all honesty, what do you /want/ those "'raw',
> non-gamma-corrected pixels" for in the first place?

  What does it matter why I want them?

  If I want a program to write the value 12345 to a file, then I expect
the program to write 12345 to the file, not some other value. Why should
the program try to guess what I "really want"?

  One reason can be that I want to match exactly the image pixel values with
HTML colors. If I want the color scheme of an image to match, for example,
the background color of a HTML page, I should be able to do that.

  If POV-Ray outright refuses to do that no matter what you do, then
outputting to PNG is a complete waste of time. Outputting to an image
format where POV-Ray does not force some gamma metadata (for the simple
reason that the image format does not support that) will in this case be
more productive.

  Tell me the reason why Display_Gamma=1.0 and File_Gamma=1.0 must produce
different results. What is shown on screen does not match what is written
to the PNG file. Why not? If I specified the same value for both, I expect
both things to be identical. Now they are not.

--
                                                          - Warp