POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POVRAY throughs an error after 18 hours? : Re: POVRAY throughs an error after 18 hours? Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:42:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY throughs an error after 18 hours?
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 1 Sep 2009 18:34:36
Message: <4a9da17c$1@news.povray.org>
>I installed POVRAY 3.7 Beta 34 on a Vista 64 Ultimate machine, and it was
>quite
> happy to render an animation (started from an ini file) for almost 1600
> frames,
> or about 18 hours on an AMD quad core.  At this point, POVRAY reported an
> error
> regarding not being able to find the input file, despite trying an
> extension
> blah, blah, blah.  My question is:  how could things go so well for 18
> hours,
> and then just tank?

I'm just guessing, but it could be ...
(1) a small memory leak / out of memory.
(2) you overheated the CPU.
(3) the HD is getting older and flipped a bit.
(4) too many open files.
(5) somthing different (image map?) was loaded on the failed frame.
(5) something else =/

Just restart the animation on the frame where it failed.