POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal : Re: Portal Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal
From: scott
Date: 1 Sep 2009 10:05:21
Message: <4a9d2a21@news.povray.org>
>  I honestly can't understand your view. I didn't find the test chambers
> repetitive at all. Each one introduced a new puzzle which required a
> different solution than earlier. (In fact, may could be solved in more
> than one way.)

They all seemed to require very similar solutions to me, ie choosing where
to put the portal (which was never very difficult) and then using it.  It
was exciting the first time you needed to also use a box to hold a button or
something, but when you need to do that for the 3rd or 4th time it quickly
gets boring.  I think the level I finally gave up on was when you had to
ascend 3 or 4 levels by placing portals on each step, after I missed falling
into one of the portals I just couldn't be bothered to go through the whole
thing again.

>>  I must admit I didn't realise this wasn't the
>> actual game, I'll have to go back and look to see how to start the actual
>> game level rather than the test levels.  Doh!
>
>  I didn't say it's "not the actual game". I said that it's an intro.

Well you said "the actual game starts after that", so I thought you meant
the bit before is not the actual game?  Anyway it doesn't really matter,
I'll check it out another time and see if I can skip (or at least finish)
the intro levels and start the "actual game" (or "non-intro" if you prefer)
levels if they will be more challenging.