POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 04:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: Warp
Date: 1 Sep 2009 09:45:31
Message: <4a9d257b@news.povray.org>
> Warp schrieb:
> >   (Btw, IMO there still should be a way of telling POV-Ray to not gamma
> > correct anything if that's what the user wishes. Currently it seems to
> > be difficult, as POV-Ray seems to be writing a gamma value of 2.2 to the
> > output PNG file regardless of what File_Gamma is. I don't even understand
> > where it's getting that 2.2 value from.)

> That's not POV-Ray, it's the display software.

  What are you talking about? Are you mad?

  How is it "the display software" if I want POV-Ray to output a pixel
value of (127,127,127) for rgb .5, without any correction of any kind?

  What you said is as silly as saying that if write a C++ program which
writes the byte value 127 to a file, and instead it writes some other
value, the "fix" to this problem would have something to do with the
"display software". That's just nonsensical.

> Encoded pixel data and
> the embedded gamma information together allow the viewing software to
> reconstruct the linear values, and it will then convert this to whatever
> it assumes the actual display hardware gamma to be.

  If I want the exact values (127,127,127) to be written to the file,
what exactly is the reason why POV-Ray would refuse to do so?

--
                                                          - Warp