POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dell support : Re: Dell support Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:11:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dell support
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Sep 2009 05:45:17
Message: <4a9ced2d$1@news.povray.org>
>> If I was buying a laptop for myself, then sure. What irks me is that
>> we paid Dell extra $$$ specifically for the support contract. (And I'm
>> not talking about small numbers here.) And yet, the support is still
>> pittiful.
>
> Hmm, Dell support has been really good for me here at work, the support
> system seems to be totally different for corporate accounts compared to
> personal orders.

Well, you would _expect_ the support to be different, considering the
price, yes. ;-)

When I call BT to tell them my home broadband has stopped working, I
have to wait 20 minutes to be connected to a call center in India
somewhere. (In fairness, the person at the other end did fix the problem.)

When I called BT to say our fiber optic link was down, the phone rang
*once* and then was answered. Less than 1000 ms between the phone
ringing and a human being picking up. That's pretty ****ing fast in
anybody's book. And an engineer was in-site within 2 hours to test the
circuit, with replacement equipment in hand.

But then, for tens of thousands of pounds per year, that's the kind of
service you expect.

In my experience, Dell is always very sharp about producing quotes and
sending out invoices. What they're not very sharp at is delivering what
we've ordered or providing any sort of support if it breaks. Basically
once they've got our money they spectacularly lose interest. Maybe it's
only Dell UK, but apparently the guys in the USA are unimpressed as
well. They're talking about moving to HP instead.

[Why in the name of God we didn't start with HP in the first place I'll
never know...]